Aug 18, 2006

My so-called benefits - Let's talk about lunch

As I started my work at ePrize, I was getting up to speed and taking in my surroundings. I couldn't believe all the benefits this place has! Boy was a wrong!

So ePrize has this service, they call 'Lunchbox'. Everyday, you go into the office, and you can order lunch (from a series of different restaurants) that will be delivered to the office. This service costs a mere $4/day. The company pays the balance.

Now like I said, this seems like an AWESOME benefit. Here's the problem. It's a cult.

Ok, perhaps that was a little harsh, but, truly, it's like once you walk in the door in the morning, you will not leave the building for at least 10 hours. Ok, I'm getting off the subject.

Anyhow, Lunchbox. The thing about this 'perk' is that all it's doing is promoting more work on a 40 hour a week salary. No one leaves the building for lunch. It's creepy.

Everyone rushes to the kitchen when the announcement (via email) is made that the food has arrived. We go down, get the food, and return to our workspaces...to work more!

I know this doesn't seem like a huge deal. I assure you there is more. We have only just begun.

PLEASE NOTE: There are always exception's to the rule. I would say 99.5% of the employees at eprize go out to lunch less that once a month. THESE ARE SALARY EMPLOYEES! THEY DO NOT GET PAID ANYMORE FOR WORKING THROUGH LUNCH! THEY ARE EXPECTED TO DO SO!

No comments: